Pammolli was a student at https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liceo_classico_Niccol%C3%B2_Machiavelli and then he graduated in economics at the University of Pisa.
He did his doctoral studies at the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies https://www.santannapisa.it/en.
In 1988-89 he served as an officer and as an instructor at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardia_di_Finanza.
From 1990 he served as an assistant and then as an associate professor at the University of Siena, while from 2001 he served as full professor at the University of Florence.
Research stays have taken him to the Department of Physics at Boston University, to work with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Eugene_Stanley, at https://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/ at the London School of Economics , at https://www.ofce.sciences-po.fr/en/ in Paris, at the Department of Economics, Harvard University https://economics.harvard.edu/, Northeastern University, and LIDS, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology https://lids.mit.edu/.
From 2004 to 2013 he served as the founding rector of the IMT School for Advanced Studies in Lucca https://www.imtlucca.it/en and worked there as a professor of economics, finance, and data science.
In 2016 he was appointed as full professor of economics, finance, and data science at Politecnico di Milano https://www.polimi.it/en.
In 2015 he served as a senior scientist at the Italian Institute of Technology https://www.iit.it/, where he contributed to design the strategic plan of https://humantechnopole.it/en/. Pammolli is also a member of the Strategic Advisory Board of https://constructor.org/science-sit-strategic-advisory-board .
In his research, Pammolli combines methods from statistical physics and economics.
He has covered a wide range of topics, which includes the analysis of growth, diversification, instability of companies, economies and financial systems https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Business-Firms-Destruction/dp/1107175488.
From 2015 to 2020 he was a member of the Investment Committee of the European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI) at the European Investment Bank https://www.eib.org/en/publications/efsi-the-legacy. From November 2021 onwards he serves as Chairperson of the Investment Committee of InvestEU, the European Commission’s new stimulus plan to provide long-term finance for companies and support EU policies https://investeu.europa.eu/fabio-pammolli_en.
Since November 2022, he serves as economic adviser to the Italian Minister of Economy and Finance https://www.mef.gov.it/en/index.html.
Publications (selection of recent contributions)
- F Pammolli, 2021, Commodity prices co-movements and financial stability: A multidimensional visibility nexus with climate conditions , Journal of Financial Stability, 54 (with A Flori, A Spelta).
- F Pammolli, 2020, The Growth of Business Firms: A Stochastic Framework on Innovation, Creative Destruction and Growth , Cambridge University Press (with HE Stanley, S Buldyrev, M Riccaboni).
- F. Pammolli, 2020, Economic and social consequences of human mobility restrictions under COVID-19 , Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117 (27) 15530-15535 (with G. Bonaccorsi, F. Pierri, M.Cinelli, A. Flori, A. Galeazzi, F. Porcelli, AL Schmidt, CM Valensise, A. Scala, W. Quattrociocchi).
- F Pammolli, 2020 A Behavioral Approach to Instability Pathways in Financial Markets , Nature Communications 1: 1707 (with A Spelta, A Flori, N Pecora, S Buldyrev).
- Pammolli, 2020, The Endless Frontier? The Recent Upsurge of R&D Productivity in Pharmaceuticals , Journal of Translational Medicine (with L Righetto, PG Pelicci, L Pani, E Rabosio).
Literature by and about Fabio Pammolli in the bibliographic database WorldCat