Pammolli was a student at Liceo classico Niccolò Machiavelli and then he graduated in economics at the University of Pisa.
He did his doctoral studies at the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies.
In 1988-89 he served as an officer and as an instructor at Guardia di Finanza.
From 1990 he served as an assistant and then as an associate professor at the University of Siena, while from 2001 he served as full professor at the University of Florence.
Research stays have taken him to the Department of Physics at Boston University, to work with H. Eugene Stanley, at STICERD at the London School of Economics , at OFCE in Paris, at the Department of Economics, Harvard University, Northeastern University, and LIDS, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
From 2004 to 2013 he served as the founding rector of the IMT School for Advanced Studies in Lucca and worked there as a professor of economics, finance, and data science.
In 2016 he was appointed as full professor of economics, finance, and data science at Politecnico di Milano.
In 2015 he served as a senior scientist at the Italian Institute of Technology, where he contributed to design the strategic plan of HUMAN TECHNOPOLE. Pammolli is also a member of the Strategic Advisory Board of CONSTRUCTOR GROUP .
In his research, Pammolli combines methods from statistical physics and economics.
He has covered a wide range of topics, which includes the analysis of growth, diversification, instability of companies, economies and financial systems
ref: The Rise and Fall of Business Firms: A Stochastic Framework on Innovation, Creative Destruction and Growth.
From 2015 to 2020 he was a member of the Investment Committee of the European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI) at the European Investment Bank
ref: European Fund for Strategic Investments – the legacy.
From November 2021 onwards he serves as Chairperson of the Investment Committee of InvestEU, the European Commission’s new stimulus plan to provide long-term finance for companies and support EU policies.
Since November 2022, he serves as economic adviser to the Italian Minister of Economy and Finance.
Publications (selection of recent contributions)
- F Pammolli, 2021, Commodity prices co-movements and financial stability: A multidimensional visibility nexus with climate conditions , Journal of Financial Stability, 54 (with A Flori, A Spelta).
- F Pammolli, 2020, The Growth of Business Firms: A Stochastic Framework on Innovation, Creative Destruction and Growth , Cambridge University Press (with HE Stanley, S Buldyrev, M Riccaboni).
- F. Pammolli, 2020, Economic and social consequences of human mobility restrictions under COVID-19 , Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117 (27) 15530-15535 (with G. Bonaccorsi, F. Pierri, M.Cinelli, A. Flori, A. Galeazzi, F. Porcelli, AL Schmidt, CM Valensise, A. Scala, W. Quattrociocchi).
- F Pammolli, 2020 A Behavioral Approach to Instability Pathways in Financial Markets , Nature Communications 1: 1707 (with A Spelta, A Flori, N Pecora, S Buldyrev).
- Pammolli, 2020, The Endless Frontier? The Recent Upsurge of R&D Productivity in Pharmaceuticals , Journal of Translational Medicine (with L Righetto, PG Pelicci, L Pani, E Rabosio).
Literature by and about Fabio Pammolli in the bibliographic database WorldCat